World Food Safety Day 2021: To ensure that every person gets food, no one goes hungry, the governments of countries around the world claim commitment and to ensure this objective, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has made every effort. It was decided to celebrate World Food Safety Day on 7th June. The relevance of this special day, which started in the last year i.e. 2019, has increased these days. The reason is that a large population of the world is affected by the Corona crisis and in this era of crisis, many people are struggling for bread two times.
This year the second World Food Safety Day is being celebrated. The purpose of celebrating this special day is to maintain balanced and safe food standards and spread awareness. Apart from this, the number of deaths due to diseases caused by the consumption of poor standard food is to be reduced.
What is food Safety?
We consume a lot of food items every day. Food Safety ensures that each step of the food chain is completely safe, from production to harvest, processing, storage, distribution, preparation before consumption. For this awareness, the justification, and importance of Food Safety Day increase.
According to the World Health Organization, one in 10 people gets sick every year from contaminated food or food containing bacteria. According to the population of the world, this figure crosses 600 million. An estimated 3 million people die each year from food and waterborne disease in developed and developing countries worldwide.
Food is very important for our health. In the midst of a fast-growing food chain and business competition, it is more important to protect standards and regulations. The justification of World Food Safety Day is important to maintain a healthy life by using safe and nutritious food.
Food Safety in India
The State Food Safety Index (SFSI) has been developed by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in the context of efforts by the states to provide safe food. FSSAI has launched the ‘Eat Right Award’ to recognize the contribution of food companies and individuals to empower citizens to make safer and healthier food choices.
UN guidelines on food safety
- Governments should ensure safe and nutritious food for all.
- Adoption of good practices and practices in agriculture and food production.
- Traders should ensure that the food items are safe and of quality.
- People have the right to access safe, healthy, and nutritious food.
- Proper information should also be given to the general consumers in this regard.
Also, read these
- World Food Safety Day 2021: History, topics, and other important information of World Food Safety Day
- World Food Safety Day 2021: World Food Safety Day celebrated on June 7, History, significance, and theme